Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Class for "The Meaning of Life" Begins

Recently I have read a classic entitled "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom. I have heard of it since a long time ago but never have I take the time and action to read it. Finally the chance came when Chon Thye, my colleague told me that he had the book and I borrowed from him.

The beginning of the book is inviting and interesting.

"Chapter One: The Cirriculum


The last class of my old professor's life took place once a week...The class met on Tuesday...The subject was The Meaning of Life. It was taught from experience.

No grades were given, but there were oral exams each week. You were expected to respond to questions, and you were expected to pose questions of your own...

No books were required, yet many topics were covered, including love, work, community , family aging, forgiveness and finally death. The last lecture was brief, only a few words.

A funeral was held in lieu of graduation.

Although no final exam was given, you were expected to produce one long paper on what was learned. That paper was presented here.

The last class of my old professor's life had only one student.

I was the student."

As I read Chapter One, many thoughts and questions started to appear.

We teach Maths, Science, English and Chinese in our school cirriculum in equipping and preparation our children to provide for themselves when they grow up. Where then do we go for our lesson on "The Meaning of Life"? Isn't it something important and significant enough to be taught? Unless it is not as important as learning of hard skills taught in mainstream schools?

How can we know if we pass the tests and exams on "The Meaning of Life" lesson?

What differentiates between those who pass or fail?

What are the merits and demerits of enrolling in such a course?

What difference does it make whether you enroll in such a lesson or not?

What are the syllabus covered under such a programme?

Can there be anyone who is qualified to teach such a topic?

I welcome postings and comments of thoughts and insights to my questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment