Saturday, May 16, 2009

Which Biblical Verses Summarises Your Life?

Recently I have been doing a lot of online quizes in facebook to know more about my own personality, values, motives and being. It's quite interesting to note the different metaphors and objects that are used to describe me. I guess that all these intriguing descriptions of me serve to highlight God's marvelous work in me and making me the only unique Dehua in this world. I'm so glad that even if we were called to become more and more like Christ in our character and attitude, we can still retain our individual being and not to conform to be uniform as Christians. There are also examples in the bible of characters who are known uniquely by one aspects of their character, instead of them being good in everything like Jesus. E.g.

Abraham - Father of Faith
Moses - The most humble man in the face of earth
David - A man after God's heart

Last week, I was having a discussion with Tracy on this topic of God's life purpose for us. I asked her what her favourite verse was and she mentioned that she had plenty. I explained to her that the reason I asked her was because there are different callings and individual life purposes for different christians. Not everyone ended up doing the same thing in order to serve God and to fulfill our life purposes. And there is an interesting correlation with some biblical verses we like and the type of christians we'll become. Take for example Pastor Jeff. His favourite verse is Acts 20:24 "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." As we reflect on this verse, we can see that there are a lot of his characteristics that are in alignment with the verse.

Upon reflection, she agreed and shared with me her favourite verse which symbolises her life. As for me, my verse would be Philippines 1:9-11

"And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight..."

It is not sufficient to love with our hearts only. A lot of times Christians love deeply and fully with their hearts but hurt and anger a lot of people along the way as they had not thought through fully and clearly some of the consequences and implications of their actions. While their motives are good, that doesn't mean that the method in which they show "love" is acceptable and blameless. E.g. a loving mother who cares and loves so much for her children that she refuses to allow them to experience hardships and failures in life to mould their character, or even the recent AWARE saga, which a group of Christian sister come together to want to take over AWARE in order to protect the children from their sexuality education programme. If our love for the other parties are genuine, we'll love them to the extent of being inconvenience to ourselves and think about the implications and consequences of our actions - that the love we show them makes them feel respected, loved and convinced of our love to them. As we mature in Christ, our love also matures with knowledge and depth of insight and wisdom.

"...so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God."

Loving people through having knowledge, biblical wisdom and thinking through properly, so that we would discern what is best for the people we love and may be pure and blameless in the eyes of people and God. Our fruits will then come and fill us, from Jesus Christ to the glory and praise of God.

What's your biblical verse in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment